All of Washington State has the potential of being impacted by a major earthquake. Earthquakes strike suddenly and without warning. When they occur, they cause the ground to undulate and shake, perhaps violently. Buildings – and their contents – are vulnerable to this rocking and rolling. Fortunately, experts teach how to secure homes to their foundations, and contents to wall studs.
- Identify potential hazards that will need to be bolted/strapped: such as water heater, tall furniture, cabinets; items that are heavy, breakable, expensive, precious, and/or toxic.
- Make a timeline to complete these safety projects.
Watch our videos
- A Trip to the Hardware Store
- Finding a Wall Stud
- Securing a Bookcase (Hardware)
- Securing a Bookcase (Velcro)
- Securing Wall Hangings
- Secure Cabinets
- Securing Dishes
- Securing Water Heater
- Securing Household Chemicals
For complete information go to http://mil.wa.gov/emergency-management-division/preparedness/personal and find the Prepare in a Year Booklet and the Getting Ready Home Booklet.